Smooth Edges - Graphics
#41 28-02-2013 
Argh! What is going on! My game worked perfectly fine 5 days ago. Today I opened it up and Smooth Edges was greyed out for me too! My system has not changed at all in that time, except for maybe a Windows Update. This is incredibly frustrating.

I've tried adding my video card info to the "Video Cards.srg". I've tried setting any instances of enumerateMultisampleLevels to true. Neither of those things helped. (And considering that everything worked fine 5 days ago with the same settings I dunno why it would make any difference!) I also tried forcing the graphic card settings in my ATI Control Panel to override the game settings... that DID get smooth edges to work, but it also made objects flicker and my sim's hair go invisible.

So yeah. Just gonna leave this log file here with a plate of cookies and a hopeful grin, for whenever you're up to looking at this stuff again, Kiri. Thanks for all your suggestions so far. OMG how frustrating it is.

Attached File(s)
.txt  fansee-config-log.txt (Size: 10.25 KB / Downloads: 478)

#42 28-02-2013 
Hey fansee, sounds like you got the same windows update as me Screen Size Issue. Did your screen size change as well?

* Oh buggar! I didn't leave a plate of cookies for Kiri, looks like I'll have to give her an extra big hug.
You can find more of my work at Mod The Sims and Plumb Bob Keep.

#43 28-02-2013 
Odd about the Windows update. My graphics are fine, nothing changed. The only thing that happened is it killed my keyboard. As usual. Sad Well, it didn't really kill it.. just made it non-functional like it always does. I have to turn the computer off and on again to get my keyboard back.

There was an update for my card last week. (I HATE those. They're always huge files.) Maybe that prevented the Windows update from changing anything.

#44 28-02-2013 
Well MLC, you could be not having a problem because you are on a different OS than Michelle.

#45 28-02-2013 
I really have no idea what I'm talking about here, but can I ask what graphic card everyone has, I noticed that fansee and I both have Radeon but Jon has a different brand.

As for OS I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP.
You can find more of my work at Mod The Sims and Plumb Bob Keep.

#46 28-02-2013 
Fansee, I actually think that your problem and Sailfin's problem have the same roots - both of your texture memories have dropped to 32Mb which is why alias is turned off. The question really has to arise on why it thinks the texture memory is so low - and I think that comes down to the Windows update moving or over-writing the correct detail.

And the problem is because it thinks it only has 32Mb for textures it won't use more than that - which is why everything goes flicker.

MLC - it's likely that your update for the graphics, overrode the Windows update for your card.
celebkiriedhel, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Dec 2010.
amazon wishlist because Lee said so.

#47 28-02-2013 
AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics, Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.

Would updating their cards help Michelle, Fansee or anyone else?

#48 28-02-2013 
Kiri: Okay, texture memory. That sounds like a plausible cause. How do we fix it? These are my card's specs if that helps. It's kind of all gibberish to me. Confused

Michelle: My card is an ATI Radeon HD 4600. Which ran Sims 2 very nicely until today! My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. And yeah.... my Refresh Rate setting is also greyed out like yours, although I never really noticed what it looked like before. My screen resolution is okay but that might be because it's manually set in my "Graphics Rules.sgr" - had to do that years ago to get larger screen resolution options. That was fixed as explained in Hugelunatic's post (#5) here.

#49 28-02-2013 
Dee at N99 suggests following this one - which removes the low setting, and changes it to medium setting for screen resolution. It's worth a try.

http://simonhampel.com/the-sims-2-resolu...ms-solved/
celebkiriedhel, proud to be a member of LeeFish since Dec 2010.
amazon wishlist because Lee said so.

#50 28-02-2013 
I have Windows XP (and don't hate, I prefer the old one for retro gaming without emulators) which could be the reason I never had any problems. My graphics card that I've always been aware didn't support smooth edges without some fiddling in the TSData files. Though I am able to get them in TS3 oddly enough.

Sorry, that is a members only option