Leanne - my cat - update
#31 09-02-2015 
We had this issue with Willem - and we got a paste from the vet. You can wrap a bit of the paste around a pill and then offer it the cat.

Willem, who was the naughtiest beast alive when it came to taking pills, used to wolf them down. He actually thought it was a special treat.

Ask your vet if they have such a thing; if they don't I will go to my vet, buy some and post it to you. (Would need your address of course).

#32 09-02-2015 
Glad to hear that your kitty is doing better now Smile
I cross my fingers for herSmile

#33 09-02-2015 
We've had to "pill" our babies before too. It's not fun - for anyone!

The best way I found to do it is: straddle them so they can't move. Right hand grabs the top of their head and pulls back - which opens the mouth with a clear shot at the throat. Left hand throws the pill down the throat. (You have to get it at least on the back of the tongue) Immediately close their mouth and firmly hold it closed until you feel them swallow. Then quickly release. Hold out a treat or play with a favorite toy until they forgive you. Then snuggle til you feel better. Heart

We've had to give shots and enemas before too. Not fun Sad
I hope Leanne is home with you soon and feeling better.

#34 09-02-2015 
(09-02-2015 03:07 PM)Karen Lorraine Wrote:  I have had to force-feed my cats in the past, but they usually love me again afterwards, I don't enjoy doing it, but sometimes it's the best way and it's in their best interests.

You were lucky... Pooky had seen some evil people and hard times before I met her. It took her a lot of effort to trust anyone. And when even *I* turned against her with that pills-issue, I guess it brought back a lot of bad dreams for her... She learned to trust me again, but it took quite a while.

#35 09-02-2015 
Aw poor puss, BO Sad But at least she had you to care for her!

#36 10-02-2015 
Yeah, normally, she would stay as close to me as she could... When I was reading a book, or watching TV, or at my computer, she loved to just curl up in my lap. And she would be purring the whole time. And when I went to bed, she would curl up on top of me. Of course, during the night, she would leave and go do some kitty mischief Smile But by the time I woke up, she would be back in place right on top of me.

She also recognized the footsteps of anyone who might come to visit me. If she heard any of those approach the front door, she'd immediately make herself scarce, hiding under my bed, not to come out until the visitor(s) were gone. That's how little she dared trust people...

#37 10-02-2015 
Leanne's home. She was looking better and she'd clearly been eating. The drip does wonders. Smile

She's got another appointment in 2 weeks time if we can get her heart rate down enough, she can go in for a dental and that will get rid of some of the pain. The hyper-thyroidism makes her heart beat faster.
I've got a pill popper and training, so will be getting the pills in her whether she likes it or not.

#38 10-02-2015 
YAY! Give her a hug from me Smile I'm glad she's home!

#39 10-02-2015 
Same here Big Grin

#40 10-02-2015 
Yay Kiri!

Sorry, that is a members only option