Sims 2, Graphics and Windows 10
#41 04-08-2015 
Hi.
I installed W10 yesterday, and the game crashed as it was loading.
I manually updated my NVIDIA drivers, and my Intel drivers (integrated card).
Using GeForce Experience I set sims to use the NVIDIA card. The game started, I could hear the sound and everything, but the window was just wholly white.
When I switched over to the integrated card the game runs okay, even with all my CC.

#42 05-08-2015 
  • Registered
I'm trying to play Ultimate Edition and I'm still having trouble with crashes during CAS. It happens after clicking on some of my custom content (hair, clothes, etc.) or even when I just click the "add sim" icon, it'll give me the crash window. I've downloaded and put in the Graphics Rules files into the folders, and run on compatibility for XP. I also have Intel HD Graphics 3000 (even more fun to deal with). Any suggestions to fix this? :*

#43 05-08-2015 
@kawaiinarwhal can you attach your config-log.txt please. I have a suspicion I know what the problem is, but I won't know for certain until I see that log.

@Inzey Hey Inzey.

I need two things from you - one is your config-log.txt when the Intel card is in, and the other is when the nvidia is in.
It sounds like the game is loading ok for the nvidia, but the nvidia is spazzing out.
What I want to do is compare the two, and see if there's anything I can tweak to help it out a bit.

@s4m218 Fab!

@oldthony Well, to start with it looks like you're not using the right graphics rules.sgr. For intel, there is some extra code I've put in to make it work for them, because otherwise intel always sets to the lowest detail. The video cards.sgr is fixed - but that wasn't actually a problem for you. We've been finding that the video cards.sgr is only needed by some people.

So you need to go to page 1 of the "Sims 2 - Sims 2 and Graphic Cards - the fixes" and pick the graphic rules card called Graphics Rules-INTEL.rar that is attached at the bottom of the post. Stick that where your current Graphic Rules.sgr files are (Config/CSConfig folders)

Now. For Windows 10, you need to set your compatibility to Windows 8. Not 7 or XP.
But more importantly, you need to run it as admin. If you don't run it as admin - it will crash.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=2064]
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2015 12:00 PM by celebkiriedhel.)

#44 05-08-2015 
@kimbertak
You are having similiar problems to oldthony. If you use the same Graphic Rules that I've pointed him to, and make sure that you're following the same things I've pointed out to him, there is a good chance that the problem will resolve. If not come back, and we can look at it some more.

@jimdevl
Hi Jim - can you attach your -config-log.txt unfortunately I can't work out what the problem is without it.

@Blueangel @tylersada
Thanks! Glad you were able to help Blueangel. I'll be putting your tip in the first post as well for others to be able to use it. Blueangel - sorry I wasn't able to help you out, so glad that tylersada was. Smile

#45 05-08-2015 
@celebkiriedhel
Here are the two logs.
I'll cross my fingers Smile

.txt  Intel-Ine-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 10.23 KB / Downloads: 552)

.txt  NVIDIA-Ine-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 10.25 KB / Downloads: 636)

#46 05-08-2015 
@Inzey the Intel card is actually pretty good for Sims 2, so if all else fails - that can be a good fall-back plan. But of course, you'd rather play it with the NVidia card, I know I would.

So I compared the two graphic rules, and there weren't any really significant differences

These are the fields that are different on the NVidia
boolProp usePixelAspectRatio false -- this is a user setting, and is just about the aspect ratio - I sincerely doubt that this is the problem, although we will come back to test this.
uintProp FXVolume 49 -- this won't have anything to do with it - it's audio not graphics.
uintProp VOXVolume 46 -- this won't have anything to do with it - it's audio not graphics.
uintProp AmbienceVolume 50 -- this won't have anything to do with it - it's audio not graphics.
uintProp Shadows 3 #default: 3 -- Your shadows are on 2 for Intel. All that does is block the sims shadows. I don't think that it could be that - also this is set up based on user settings.
boolProp objectShadows true -- this just says you have enough grunt for object shadows.
uintProp optionShadows 3 -- this says you have enough for high definition shadows.
uintProp antialiasingSupport 3 -- this is standard for NVidia
boolProp createNVidiaWorkaroundTexture true -- this also is standard for NVidia

So there isn't significant difference between the graphic rules for Intel and NVidia here.

Your NVidia card isn't defined to the database. I have a low confidence that this could be the problem - so I've got a new video card.sgr for you to install in both the Config and CSConfig folder.

Video Card for Inzey

But we'll start with that, because it has mattered in the past with some configurations.

Then we can fiddle with some of the other settings once we cross that out.l

#47 05-08-2015 
@celebkiriedhel, the .sgr was placed in both the Config and CSConfig folders, but the screen still remained white.

I have added the config log from the start up.

.txt  Ine-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 10.25 KB / Downloads: 551)

#48 05-08-2015 
  • Registered
@celebkiriedhel Ohhhh boy, I never thought I would play Sims2 again, thank you so much!! Everything is working just fine for me now, and I`m sure you`ll be fine too just in enough time. Thanks again and lots of love from Brazil! =D

#49 06-08-2015 
It's ok @celebkiriedhel you did your best Smile

#50 06-08-2015 
  • Registered

.txt  GRACIE-HP-config-log.txt (Size: 10.45 KB / Downloads: 559) Here's my log @celebkiriedhel, thanks for the help!

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option