Sims 2, Graphics and Windows 10
#51 06-08-2015 
  • Registered
After I do a Cumulative Update to my Windows 10 (KB3081424) Laptop I have got this error called "Direct3d returned an error E_INVALIDARG! The application will now terminate." but this only happens on NVIDIA (The definite graphics card is GeForce GTX 970M). The Intel HD 4600 graphics card works fine and the GeForce GTX 970M is also fine before theis update. It does also happens at all on Windows 8.1. I will give you a log of it soon.

#52 06-08-2015 
  • Registered
Okay so, I installed Windows 10 yesterday.
My problem is that I can load my game, but when it gets to the neighborhood screen, my entire screen goes black as if it would if you had Windows 8. The only difference is that the black screen will not go away.
I have an AMD Graphics Card (270x to be exact).
If I try to get the game to recognize my graphics card, using the Graphic Rules Maker, my screen resolution will get stuck at 800x600.
Before I updated to windows 10 (I had windows 7), I used this Graphics Rules Maker to get rid of the black boxes under my sims, and to enable smooth edges. Now I have the black boxes under my sims again, and smooth edges is disabled again. I have tried to run my game in all compatibility modes, and all of them seem to do the same thing.
Thank you for your help in advance Big Grin

Attached File(s)
.txt  AUTUMN-PC-config-log.txt (Size: 10.27 KB / Downloads: 558)
.txt  Graphic Rules.txt (Size: 33.31 KB / Downloads: 490)
.txt  Video Cards.txt (Size: 26.68 KB / Downloads: 467)

#53 06-08-2015 
  • Registered
Okay, yesterday I updated to Windows 10, and I have the sims 2 ultimate collection. At first, when I download windows 10, I loaded my game and the stuff was pink, my computer screen resolution was small. But, when I opened body shop, it loaded. Eventually, the screen resolution went back to its original size. (The size it was on windows 7). Now, I can open my game and the neighborhood isn't pink. So I loaded body shop, but when I click build a sim, it crashes. I ran troubleshoot and tried all the compatibilities, and it still crashed. There's also a update for windows 10 and I can not install it. For now I'm going back to Windows 7, but I really need help fixing my bodyshop :/ I have a Intel premium graphics card. Any help is appreciated.

#54 07-08-2015 
  • Registered
Here again with a log through.

Attached File(s)
.txt  SNOWANRYNEMO-config-log.txt (Size: 10.28 KB / Downloads: 501)
.txt  SNOWANRYNEMO-config-log-2.txt (Size: 10.28 KB / Downloads: 434)

#55 09-08-2015 
  • Registered
Hello~ So I recently upgraded my OS to Windows 10 from WIndows 8.1 and suddenly when I tried to open my Sims 2 UC, this error appeared... (see image) I did not change anything (just uninstalled a few programs) after the upgrade and my SIms still worked perfectly before the upgrade so I don't know what happened.

Then I checked the config.txt file and found that the graphics info Name(driver) had changed from Intel (what it was before the upgrade) to Microsoft Basic Render Driver and the texture memory became 32MB.

Please help. I dunno what to do anymore. T.T

The first config file is the current config.txt and the second one was the config.txt before the upgrade.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.txt  USER-config-log.txt (Size: 10.39 KB / Downloads: 446)
.txt  user config.txt (Size: 10.46 KB / Downloads: 442)

#56 10-08-2015 
  • Registered
Hi there! My name is Danielle and I recently had my computer upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10. With windows 8 I experienced the common problem of black boxes & glitching computer screens when running the game. Thankfully no crashes happened but the glitching was quite frustrating. I was able to solve the problem with the help of the graphics rule maker and the game worked perfectly fine. Now with the update to windows 10 my game is back to glitching, actually worse than ever & it's stuck on an 800 x 600 resolution (I have a very wide computer monitor so that is quite frustrating) and the graphics seem to be very low despite being turned up high they just still look... off? I guess would be the correct word to use. I've attached my config-log file in the hopes that someone out there can help me or may have experienced the same issue (I hope if you did you found a fix for it!) I understand that people are busy so there's really no rush to it I'm just hoping there's a way to make it work! I put the money into a new computer with the hopes of being able to play a favorite game and it just isn't working out so well!

Thank you to anyone who can / will try & help me!

~ Danielle

Attached File(s)
.txt  Rhinehart-Pc-config-log.txt (Size: 15.03 KB / Downloads: 456)

#57 13-08-2015 
  • Registered
i'm having a weird problem with this, can't seem to find the mansion & gardens pack file anywhere, which is where i need to put the new intel graphics rules, right? i don't have it in my ultimate collection file, so i'm wondering where to put the graphics rules. does anyone know what to do about this? i might just be blind, so i'll keep looking until i find it or someone responds

#58 14-08-2015 
Sorry about being missing - my new PC is giving me gyp. I need to set some things up. But I will back on Saturday and answer all the questions.

#59 15-08-2015 
  • Registered
I just found out that you can use the code mentioned before (-CPUCount:1) with a higher number of cores, for example " -CPUCount:4 " depending on the CPU you have. It got MUCH faster than using '1' and is running really smooth and lagless.

#60 15-08-2015 
  • Registered
Hi, I was hoping you guys could help me.
I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 and my Sims 2 Ultimate worked fine for a few days to a week (a few more crashes than usual, but nothing too bad) then all of a sudden it wont let me load my households. The game will load everything perfectly fine up until the family lot is fully loaded, then it crashes every time without fail.

I'm not the most tech savvy person out there, but if anyone could offer any help at all, I would appreciate it so much. I'm at the point where I just want to downgrade back to Win 7 so I can play my game.

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option