"Slaved" Desk Groundshadow Not Working
#11 02-10-2015 
Well that explains why everyone else who's made Value counter addon meshes has just deleted the handle shadows. Undecided

But I think subtle shadows make a huge difference. So I linked the handle shadows to the groundshadow instead of deleting them or making a new texture. Then added some more shadows done the same way. Apparently that means all the shadows disappear if shadows are turned off in the game options, but I figure most people who care about shadows would have them turned on. They do work on the "medium" shadows setting, just not "off".

Okay one more question! I made this desk using several groups with the same name, as you can see in the SimPE screenshot below. Is there any reason to combine the same-name groups into one (so there would be 1 group per name) or is it okay to keep them separate?

SimPE Screenshot:

Shadows OFF / ON / Desk with stuff on it:

Reception Desk:

(BTW I hope you do release your counter completer set one of these years, @NixNivis! Or at least show us some teaser pics! Unless you already did and I missed them....)
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2015 07:55 AM by fanseelamb.)

#12 02-10-2015 
NAILED IT! Celebrate Well done, @fanseelamb. Heart

Personally, I'm like "the less repetition, the less space needed". If all these similarly-named groups could be joined, there'd be only *one* group definition in stead of three or four, making the object smaller.
BUT for ease of use (if someone needs to edit stuff later), it might be easier to keep those groups separate. Unless it's *logical* to always want to treat them as a group. And heck, hardly anybody nowadays seems to care about how big or small an object is... Maybe it's just not important...

So my final verdict is that you should just leave these groups be, and move on to nailing your next project.

#13 02-10-2015 
So yea, gonna do a mirrored version fansee? There are some ready to run mirrored desks all repod and everything. Would take you 10 minutes Big Grin

#14 02-10-2015 
Well I guess now I have to do a mirrored version. Tongue

And maybe a 1-tile version....

#15 02-10-2015 
So cool, fansee!

#16 02-10-2015 
@fanseelamb, mirrored and one-tile versions, yes, please. Big Grin And if it were me, I'd merge those groups, but that's just a personal preference - I like to keep my packages as little cluttered and/or as possible (if only because I sometimes have the attention span of a mosquito and would forget which group was what). If you're happy the way they are, then by all means leave them!

And I'm definitely going to release my counter completers, it's just that I keep getting sidetracked. Rolleyes (Right now, I'm thinking of maybe doing some wall units to go with them... I know there are some out there already, but I always like to make my own.) And I actually did show some teaser pics, but that was a looong time ago (or almost a year, anyway). Thread is here if you're curious - nvm the dust. Tongue

#17 02-10-2015 
@NixNivis, those counter completers look awesome. It turns out I did see them before, and just have a very poor memory. Tongue

Yeah okay well if having multiple groups doesn't cause any harm I'm going to leave them as-is, at least for now. It makes the mesh a lot easier to edit when I noticed glitches that need adjusting, and from my experience those glitches tend to pop up after I've merged all the groups. Sleepy

ETA: I got the wallshadows to work OMG. Celebrate
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2015 08:47 PM by fanseelamb.)

#18 02-10-2015 
UPDATE: Mirrored desk! Complete with wall shadows! (The desks are normal 2-tile desks. These pics show 2 desks beside each other.)

#19 03-10-2015 
Looks really cool, fansee!

#20 03-10-2015 
Those shadows look smashing, really pro Big Grin

Sorry, that is a members only option