To Do-list February
#11 01-02-2016 
Sending hugs to fansee, in the hopes it helps with the reinstall!

I am staying well clear of Windows 10 too!

#12 01-02-2016 
This whole hate of windows 10 is only sims-related right? I have a laptop with Windows 8 that I don't use for simming at all. Will I regret updating to 10?

#13 01-02-2016 
@Klaartje - Well a couple days ago my Windows 10 computer just... broke... with no real advance warning errors like you usually get before a major system failure. The computer is under a year old and all the hardware appears to be fine. I can't say for sure that Windows 10 is to blame, but it sure seems like it is. After every other option to salvage the system failed, all that was left to do was to reinstall Windows 10, wiping the hard drive clean. Other than that it's been working just peachy. Sleepy

Bottom line? If you do use Windows 10 I highly recommend keeping up-to-date backups of all your important data, browser passwords, etc., even if your system is working fine.

#14 02-02-2016 
Did you lose all your TS2 stuff? Or do you keep backups elsewhere?

#15 02-02-2016 
Oh no, Fansee!!

I thought that you'd been taken away by the Social Worker! ...but this is far, far worse. =(
This past weekend was a COSMIC BAD Weekend, all around! Hopefully, your last backup
wasn't TOO far back. =(

Speedy recovery!

-gE
>=)

#16 02-02-2016 
@Karen Lorraine - I had backups on an external drive. Luckily (???) this sort of thing has happened to me before. The first time (long long ago) I had no backups and learned my lesson. Have been pretty careful about keeping backups ever since. In fact my Sims 2 game is now restored and recent enough that my pregnant sim hasn't even lost her baby. Yay. Tongue

@grinEvilly - Cosmically bad, oh no! I hope you and all the other fishies are ok.... Confused

#17 02-02-2016 
1. Gradually lock down Windows 7 with ultra-strict firewall rules and the like in preparation for its end of life.
2. Avoid Windows 10 update like the plague.
3. Get in the habit of only accessing the web through my Salix OS VM or through Mint. (Currently I do this for most things except downloads, which are a bit more convenient in a native browser.)
4. Hope the games I can't give up eventually run under WINE or get Linux ports so I need not run Windows in the future, be it an unsupported Windows 7 or a Windows 10 with all its additional built-in malware/spyware and backdoors, etc.

@Klaartje If you don't like Microsoft forcing upgrades on you, you could back everything up and try out Linux Mint or something like Zorin on your laptop. That would put you back in charge of what OS you run.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 03:01 PM by rawmilk905.)

#18 08-02-2016 
My sims sim like a charm on Windows 10. They still set fire to the furniture though.

#19 10-02-2016 
1.Play Dead Space
2.Create industrial rectangular spiral staircase for the sims 2
3.Upload some various CC

#20 10-02-2016 
WinX means "no" for lots of things..... Including privacy.

(01-02-2016 07:55 PM)Klaartje Wrote:  This whole hate of windows 10 is only sims-related right? I have a laptop with Windows 8 that I don't use for simming at all. Will I regret updating to 10?
Not really. I hate WinX, because of privacy issues. Looked good at first, then realized I was being data mined.

If you're using Win 8, upgrade to 8.1. Great for Simming, but you have to clean it up, and tweak it a bit. All my Sims games run flawlessly on it.

As far as upgrading to Win 10? I wouldn't, at least not yet, and maybe never. Microsnot is being very naughty right now.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2016 01:22 PM by Kunder.)

Sorry, that is a members only option