Where are you from?
#11 13-08-2016 
(12-08-2016 03:31 PM)poisson Wrote:  From Italian (50%), German (25%) and Irish (25%) origins, I live in the North-East of France.
You get a lot of snow/cold weather in France? I would like to visit someday.

#12 13-08-2016 
(13-08-2016 12:24 AM)Kunder Wrote:  You get a lot of snow/cold weather in France? I would like to visit someday.

Hi Kunder! It depends on 1. where you are in France, and it also depends on 2. when you decide to visit.

While France is not as huge as the USA, it's still quite a big country (bigger than any of the US states, except Alaska and Texas). Its size is within an intermediate position between California and Texas. As a result, there are several and very different climates. Smile

In winter, it's very cold where I live (the North-East, Lorraine region). It's cold to cool in the rest of the country, and it's cool to mild in the French Mediterranean area.
In summer, it's warm pretty much everywhere (the North-West, toward the English Channel and the UK, is cooler, though), but not everyday. Some days are a bit less warm than others. And it's hot in the South.

I love to talk about weather/climate (it's one of my passions xD ), but I invite you to search on the net for further information, or if you want, we can chat in private. Wink Tongue
(This post was last modified: 13-08-2016 02:03 AM by poisson.)

#13 13-08-2016 
All these pictures are not from me, but they have all been taken somewhere in France:

Lee, if I'm not allowed to post such pictures, please feel free to remove them, of course.

(...couldn't prevent myself to show these Big Grin )

It goes from this... (cold and snowy in winter in the different mountain ranges):

[Image: l5w8.png]

[Image: ed0g.png]

to this... (hot and sunny in summer on all of the Mediterranean coast):

[Image: s23y.png]

[Image: lf8j.png]

#14 13-08-2016 
Born and bred in one of the most beautiful city in the world...Sydney Australia.

#15 13-08-2016 
(13-08-2016 01:00 AM)poisson Wrote:  
(13-08-2016 12:24 AM)Kunder Wrote:  You get a lot of snow/cold weather in France? I would like to visit someday.

Hi Kunder! It depends on 1. where you are in France, and it also depends on 2. when you decide to visit.

While France is not as huge as the USA, it's still quite a big country (bigger than any of the US states, except Alaska and Texas). Its size is within an intermediate position between California and Texas. As a result, there are several and very different climates. Smile

In winter, it's very cold where I live (the North-East, Lorraine region). It's cold to cool in the rest of the country, and it's cool to mild in the French Mediterranean area.
In summer, it's warm pretty much everywhere (the North-West, toward the English Channel and the UK is cooler, though), but not everyday. Some days are a bit less warm than others. And it's hot in the South.

I love to talk about weather/climate (it's one of my passions xD ), but I invite you to search on the net for further information, or if you want, we can chat in private. Wink Tongue

Absolutely GORGEOUS pics! Thankyou! Well currently, we're gonna get hammered by a big, line of thunderstorms in about 10 minutes, here in south, central Texas, with pretty stout winds, and it's 104 degrees f here (40 degrees c, for you). I thought France was well north of Texas. For example, Paris (south of you), is on the 48th parallel, with a continental climate.

Austin Texas, (45mi. due east of me) is on the 30th parallel, w/a humid subtropical climate, and going to get a LOT more humid here, in about ten minutes!

I'm interested in the native animals in France, and hope, someday to Herp it there (hunt snakes/lzards), Eat real French bread, visit folk in the countryside, do some fishing there, take lots of nature pics, Have a little home made French wine, maybe do a little primitive camping Big Grin:. I'm very down to earth. Smile

I'm definitely, not your typical "Ugly 'Merican" visitor.

#16 13-08-2016 
Sorry for hijacking the thread, Y'all!Tongue

#17 13-08-2016 
The US, Illinois to be exact, with one detour along the way - I lived in Kansas for a bit. Which is when I found out that I have an accent. (According to everyone I met there, imagine my surprise!)

#18 13-08-2016 
@mustluvcatz as a European, it cracks me up every time I hear someone from the US claim they don't have an accent. Hate to be the one to break the news, but you do. Wink

#19 13-08-2016 
(13-08-2016 11:03 AM)NixNivis Wrote:  @mustluvcatz as a European, it cracks me up every time I hear someone from the US claim they don't have an accent. Hate to be the one to break the news, but you do. Wink
I *KNOW* I have an accent. I have a pretty good Kentucky/West Virginia, drawl. Tongue

Californians claim to not have an accent. My friend from Arkansas and I (both of us lived in the Sacramento area), laughed every time someone out there said they didn't have an accent! We're like "Riiiiiight!" (SnIcKeR)

#20 13-08-2016 
Of the Dutch, those born and raised in Haarlem (my own stomping ground) are said to be among the few who have no accent... I'm not sure if that is entirely correct, though. I just think that our accent is just a lot closer to the "norm" for our language.

On the other hand, whenever I make the effort to speak what few words I know in other languages, I am often told that I speak without any accent. And that therefor, it is impossible for others to tell where I'm from. But when I hear Dutch government officials such as ministers, speak English, I often cringe and curl my toes in agony. We are supposed to - as a nation - have a knack for learning foreign languages... They prove that this is not the case!

Sorry, that is a members only option