Sims 2 Ultimate Collection keeps crashing
#11 02-01-2018 
@BoilingOil

Great Job BO - I really appreciate it.

@Beckilly

Problem: When you crash changing from the Game to an external program, my suspicion is that it's trying to access the same memory and gets an access violation.
Solution: If you play full screen, swap to windowed before swapping to your external program. You have 3796.800048Mhz which is a goodly amount but its probably getting tangled up when it's swapping from full screen, to not full screen. Personally, I play windowed all the time, and have the window set to the size of my monitor.

Problem: When you crash starting the game - your caches are likely to have corrupted.
Solution: We have a tutorial about that - Clearing the Caches

Problem: Crashing in-game when you are changing an appearance of a sim, or changing something on a lot. The usual reason for this is because you have a piece of CC that is crashing your game.
Solution: Remove the offending piece of CC. How you can do that is by doing a 50-50 search.

1. Create a fresh game with your CC in it, but a new hood is generated. You do this by renaming your sims2 folder, and letting the game generate a new one, then COPY over your downloads folder.
2. Go into the game and attempt to do the same thing that crashed your old game.

a. Does it crash? Yes. Great - it's a piece of CC.
i. Take out 1/2 the CC, and try again. If it doesn't crash that means the problem isn't in that half - put it aside in a Saved folder and try again with the other half. If that crashes, then we know that the piece of CC is in that half.
ii. Repeat step i. with the remaining CC until you only have 1 piece of CC. That will be the problem. Remove that CC. And you're good to go.

b. Does it crash? No. Great - we know it's not the CC. So the likelihood is it's a corruption in some other folder. In the fresh game - delete the neighborhoods folder, and copy over your old neighborhoods folder.
i. Does it crash? Yes - then it's your hoods folder that has the corruption in it. Come back and let me know, and we will work through what you can do to fix it.
ii. Does it crash? No - Phew! Your hood is ok. That means that it's one of the other folders that has a problem. The likelihood is that it's a problem with your thumbnails folder. But it could also be the collections folder. So repeat step b - but with a different folder - thumbnails. If it doesn't crash, repeat step b with the collection folder.

Then continue on and until you've copied over everything or you've found which folder crashes. then come back and let me know.

#12 05-01-2018 
It's says:

Size: 3.30 GB
Disc size: 3.32 GB
I have around 6 000 files

But I don't understand, I have plenty of space on my laptop..I have 1 TB and I have only used 100 gb of them. And I have SSD with 500 GB and I have used only half of it..

#13 06-01-2018 
Hi @Beckilly,

So apparently, the amount of CC is reasonable. Space on the disk is not the problem, really. If space issues cause a game to crash, it's not disk space, but *memory* space that is the problem.
Anyway, I think you should try to follow Kiri's post now. She knows way more about this thing than I do, and she explains it so much better...Maybe she can help you get your game going as it should.

#14 06-01-2018 
But the thing is that the game can crash anytime, when I change apperance, when I go to neighborhood, or it can even crash without me doing anything special..(like not even click on anything). Also it doesn't crash when I open the game, I can Always play like 2-4 hours and THEN it crashes.. and that's a bit strange to me.. :/

Anyways thanks for the info Kiri and Bo. I will look it up about the CC thing. If it's not the CC who is the problem I will get back to you, but it can take awhile since I have alot of CC. Anyways thank you and I will get back when I got it checked! Smile
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2018 12:16 AM by Beckilly.)

#15 07-01-2018 
Hi @Beckilly,

Yeah, I know, the game isn't picky with its crashes. When you have bad skins in your Downloads, it's most likely to happen when a sim is born or ages up, or while in CAS creating a new sim. When it's bad clothing, it can happen the moment a sim in that dress tries to walk by the home you're currently playing, or again while you're in CAS. But some other crashes can happen at ANY time, regardless of what you're doing.

But if it ALWAYS crashes after some 2-4 hours of play, then that *may* mean that your memory got full with redundant pieces of old data that either Windows or the Game could not properly clean up when it was no longer needed. If too many of these pieces stay behind, the game has trouble storing new files that it loads. And then it crashes! That is a *memory* issue. Meaning that the more memory you have, the longer you can play before it happens.

If I play long enough, the game will eventually crash, too. For me, though, that takes rather a long while, because I have 16 GB of RAM memory, and I don't do much multitasking. When I'm playing a game, I don't have a browser window, and a text editor, and a photo-editing program and a music player working at the same time. I'm playing a GAME, and I do not need distractions. So my game has more than enough memory for a long long time. But if I keep going, at some point it WILL crash! That is not strange, though. It normal, and it happens for all Windows users.

But be clear that *memory* is something different than *Disk space*. That was the whole point of what I was saying earlier. Your problem is not a lack of disk space. You have enough of that. But you could have too little memory. A possible work-around for that is to save regularly. Every 15 or 20 minutes, save your current game, and then play on. Worst case scenario, when the game crashes, you only lose some 15 to 20 minutes, and not 4 hours of work!

Oh, and 6,000 files? That is not a lot of CC, dear. I've seen people say they have 25GB of CC. They speak of 60,000 or 100,000 files! When they get up in the morning, they immediately start their computer and double-click the TS2 icon. Two hours later, when they've taken a shower, had breakfast and two cups of coffee, and done the chores like washing dishes, vacuuming the whole house and reading any mail, MAYBE their computer is just ready loading the game, so they can go play. THOSE people have a lot of CC. You and I have nothing! Smile

But we'll be here, waiting for you to find out what you can. If we *can* help, we will!

#16 24-04-2018 
Hello again after a very long time. I have tested taking out all my CC and the game still crashes. Different times everytime, the only common is that it ALWAYS crashe when I turn the game off :/ So we can now exclude that the CC wasn't the problem.

What is the next move?
Sadly I Think that the problem is Windows 10.. not for sure, but I have seen that I'm not the only one having this problem. :/

#17 24-04-2018 
If you save the current game before shutting the game down, can you load the situation back next time you play? If that still plays the reloaded game normally, then maybe you should not worry too much about the crashes.

Sure, I agree that it is not normal, and that it should not be this way. But if it doesn't corrupt your neighborhoods... big whoop that it crashes.
Windoze has always been unstable. And the newer your Windoze version, the more unstable it is.

#18 25-04-2018 
But it doesn't only crash when I shut the game off. It crashes for other reasons too, and that's what's bothering me :/ I can't play for hours like I used to with my old computer (Windows 7). It didn't crash at all, just if there was a bad cc or something, but that was it.

My thoughts on this is that my the games crashes because the Windows 10 update. I Think I have the 4gb patch but my game only shows that I have 2gb and so on..I'm not really sure about this but I don't Think that my game are corrupt because of corrupted files. I Think that it all has to do with the new Windows update or something

And sometimes when it crashes when I shut the game down the screen bug on me, so I have to restart my computer cause I can't do anything. And that's Another thing that's pretty annoying for me Sad
(This post was last modified: 25-04-2018 03:02 PM by Beckilly.)

#19 25-04-2018 
Ah, yes, in that case, I can understand that something should be done, if possible. I just don't know how to help you any further. Because I agree with your assessment that it's probably caused by Win10, more than by the game itself. And I'm sorry to say that I know nothing of Win10. I'm still using Win7, and have no intentions of changing that anytime soon. Because as I said earlier: the newer your version of Windoze, the more unstable it is. I miss the days of Win98SE.

#20 26-04-2018 
No problem, I appreciate that you helped me so far on this case. Thank you so much! Crossing my fingers that someone else can help me futher in this case Smile
Yeah miss those days too, both Sims 2 and Sims 3 worked perfectly fine when I had my old computer with Windows 7, it was much easier and didn't crash at all!

One thing, when I looked at my config file, it says that my NVIDIA graphic cards doesn't show in the database. So I think that maybe that also can be the problem.
(This post was last modified: 26-04-2018 03:53 PM by Beckilly.)

Before you post requesting help
Information we need

1. The -config-log.txt from the Logs folder in the My Documents\EA\The Sims2\ Click "full editor" below to attach a text file.
  2. Your operating System.
  3. What the problem actually is - that will be a picture to show the problem (optional), and accompanying text files that turn up (optional), and a detailed description of what happened, and what you expected to happen.

Sorry, that is a members only option